Autumn Upside-Down Pear Tartlets
Last night, for the first time in while, I came home from work and baked. Unremarkable to most, I imagine. But for me it was a chance to unwind and get myself in the Autumn mood for the first time in while.
My mums always been a fantastic baker; I haven't quite inherited those genes, but I do get by. I (quite literally) rarely check the measurements of recipes - I tend to rely more on my gut instinct of how much ingredients are needed. It makes me feel like a natural baker at the time, but needless to say the end result doesn't always represent such.. After seeing endless new season baked goods, I felt inspired to dust off my baking apron and give this recipe a proper go. And I have to say they were easy to make and taste pretty damn good.
I hope you enjoy!
- 4 ripe pears
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Vanilla pods/extract (optional)
- Puff pastry
- Accompaniment: cream or vanilla ice cream
- Peel, halve, and core pears.
- Melt half the butter in a skillet. Add pears and cook over medium-high heat until juices release and begin to turn golden on edges. Drain juices and reserve the pears.
- Place sugar in a large skillet over high heat until sugar melts, bubbles, and turns amber.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and the pears, being careful as the caramel will sputter. Turn to coat pears using a heatproof spatula.
- Remove pan from heat and spoon pear slices into the cups of a jumbo muffin tin (3/4-cup capacity). Arrange to form a 1-inch layer.
- Cut the pastry (it should be about 1/8-inch thick) into six 2 1/2-inch rounds. Discard or reserve scraps for another use.
- Top the pears in each muffin cup with a piece of puff pastry and bake until the pastry puffs are golden brown (about 25 minutes). Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Run a spoon around the edges of each tartlet. Remove and serve pear side up.
- Serve warm with cream or ice cream.
Recipe sourced from Country Living Magazine
Ph. by myself
Thank you for reading.
If you LIKE it, please SHARE it x